Breakfast is an important meal, but who wants to wake up 15-30 minutes earlier just to make a healthy breakfast every morning? Most people rather sleep in a few extra minutes and opt for a less healthy option for breakfast, than to go through the effort of waking up early and preparing a meal. Well, there’s a way to prepare a healthy and hearty breakfast without sacrificing a few minutes of sleep – Prepare your breakfast ahead of time!
My favorite make-ahead breakfast recipe is overnight oats, especially in the summer. Oats are an amazing option for breakfast. Oats are not only naturally vegan and gluten free, but they also provide both soluble and insoluble of fiber, protein and some healthy fats. You can also enhance the flavor and nutrition of oatmeal by adding additional add-ins, such as chia seeds, flaxseeds, nut butters, nut milks, nuts, spices, sweeteners, etc.
Oatmeal is also super versatile – you can eat it every day, and still have a completely different and tasty breakfast every single morning. One of my go-to oatmeal variations is a creamy almond butter banana oats. If you love almond butter and bananas, you’ll surely fall in love with this super easy recipe for overnight oats!
Almond Butter Banana Overnight Oats (Serves 1)
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- ½ cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- ½ Medium Banana
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter
- Add the first 8 ingredients (Oats, soy milk, water, chia seeds, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sea salt) into a jar and mix well.
- Stir in about ½ tablespoon the almond butter and ¼ of a diced or mashed medium banana to the jar.
- Thinly slice the remaining ¼ of the banana. Top the oat mixture with the thinly sliced banana and the rest of the almond butter.
- Close the jar and let the oats sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Pull the jar out of the refrigerator, stir and enjoy!
The nutritional information for the full recipe is below: