Between office gatherings and holiday festivities with family and friends, there’s no doubt that Fall is the season of overindulgence. With heavy foods and sprawling dessert tables at every turn, Oh My Green has the perfect recipe to make this season a little lighter – without compromising taste. Introducing: your new favorite banana bread.
Perfect for a hearty breakfast, healthy snack, or even a clean dessert, this banana bread is a delicious example of how easy it is to substitute healthier ingredients without sacrificing the flavor of your favorite comfort foods. It’s soft, well-balanced, and will leave your house smelling like the best bakery in town.
To create the below banana bread, we started out with recipes we tried and loved, and then substituted the following ingredients based on tips, tricks, and facts from some trusted sources (including this blog!):
- Whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour (Thanks for the tip, Alejandra!)
- Honey instead of cane sugar (It may not be a huge difference, but head to the Huffington Post to find out why it’s an upgrade)
- Coconut oil instead of butter
- Greek yogurt instead of milk (Say hello to probiotics and protein)
- Adding chia seeds (Instant fiber, protein, and omega-3 boost)
Keep scrolling (or better yet, try out the recipe) to see how it all turns out! 🙂
- 1 ¾ c whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tesaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (I use Himalayan pink, but any finely ground salt is fine)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of chia seeds (optional)
- ¾ cup of your favorite mix-in (dark chocolate chips, raisins, or chopped nuts are great)
- 2 eggs (room temperature – the yolks and egg whites will mix better!)
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or olive oil (plus 1 tablespoon for the pan)
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt (reduced fat or nonfat are fine, but whole yogurt will keep you fuller longer. You can also go with an almond or soy based yogurt, if desired)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F, and use 1 tbsp of coconut oil to grease a 9×5” loaf pan.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt) in a medium bowl, except for the chia seeds and mix-ins – you’ll add these at the end! Once mixed together, set this bowl aside.
- Combine wet ingredients (large bowl): Whisk your eggs until they’re very well combined (you don’t want to see streaks of egg whites). Next, whisk in the greek yogurt, honey, vanilla, and mashed banana. Lastly, add the coconut oil and mix until it’s well incorporated. Adding in the coconut oil last is key, since it’s otherwise likely to clump upon contact with cold yogurt. This way, the yogurt will already have risen in temperature by being mixed with so many room temperature wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and stir everything with a spoon just until it’s combined. Don’t worry about any clumps, as that won’t affect the final (delicious) product!
- If you’re adding in any mix-ins, now’s the time! Pro-tip: if you’re adding nuts or fresh fruit like cranberries, toss them in whole wheat flour first. It’ll help them stay buoyant in the batter, rather than sink to the bottom.
- Pour the batter in the greased pan, and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Once it’s done, let the bread cool for about 30 minutes. Once it has cooled, you should be able to flip it out of the pan and onto a plate. Cut it into whatever sized slices you’d like, and eat plain or top with a tablespoon of your favorite nut butter for a protein-packed breakfast or snack.
The bread keeps for about 4 days when stored in room temperature. After 4 days in room temperature, it should be transferred into the refrigerator and can keep for an additional 3 days. You can also freeze a loaf for 2-3 months by wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap, and then placing it in a ziplock bag. To defrost, set it out on the counter, and warm up slices in your toaster or toaster oven to get a fresh-baked experience.
Do yourselves a favor and try it out! Your kitchen will smell amazing and anyone you share this healthy snack with will thank you for it.